Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thursday 13- 13 traits of a sterling teacher who will make a lasting impact

I've been a teacher now 50 plus years the last 8  part time  due to illness.I have learned  so many lessons from the students  foremost how to reach them , not that they will always listen now , but will remember down the road of life.Here are 13!!!* plus(I taught hard to reach , Testing, Elementary Reading and Math , and High School English and French and a little college English and GED..I tried to challenge myself with other higher paying jobs throughout my life but I was born to teach.

Be human ( admit if you are wrong or make a mistake. your students will  be more readily able to do the same )

Establish a relationship of some kind with each of them .(Same with their parents ,I called all my parents good or bad at least once a month  and never ever had a problem_)

Tell  captivating stories..let them into your world and what you see .

Be sincere..all kids spot insincerity in a moment 

Never teach or test the same way twice..sure its more work but the benefits are monumental.

Set students up to  succeed (even if you have to change the testing methods)

Show them  through voice , body gestures , smiles etc how thrilled you are that they are in your class..If you are there smiling and teasing when they walk in the door , the mood is set.

Show trust even if they have given you reason not to, you might turn around a student's life

Convince every student they can , spend extra time showing them the lessons after school etc away from others, emails, phone questions ..... Spend the time 

Make everyone in the room  feel they are on even ground  always and so important/

Make them curious ,play games, scavenger hunts for  answers, games for test reviews.(who wants to be a millionaire)

Take extra time ALWAYS

Acknowledge their emotions and know when to overlook   negatives.

Have a huge sense of humor. I remember standing in front of a junior English class of hard sells  and saying on the first day of class in a dead pan voice with a   room sweeping look. "I shall strive to do nothing life- scarring to you this year"  They got it and were my best class ever.


** I had a holographic disc called Positive Power in my room once. It was hidden but if a student   found it , they were to request something for the class, free sodas,  Chinese food whatever- the only  rule was they had to do something positive for someone that day and report back to me what it was..You would be so suprised  at this outcome .We got the power the "positive power"

Bonus - tell yourself always no matter how hard a day - This is important work.. IT IS!!!

4 comments:

  1. We all remember the best teachers. You sound like you were one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you don't want to move out to Montana and be my dd's teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good advice! Love the ducks-in-snow blog header, though that is one sight I do not want to see for another year. My T13

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful hints and great advice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you beforehand for genuine, positive , make me happy today comments

Thoughts on Christmas new Thursday 13

Christmas comes so very fast.I want to hold it in my heart all year Mr. Dickens I really do . I have been extremely ill so it is a particula...